Let’s face it, sometimes updating window treatments can be expensive. If you want something different for the holiday season, but you don’t want to spend a small fortune, we’ve got good news for you. The Renewal by Andersen replacement window team put these simple, affordable decorating tips together to help you create beautiful, festive focal points you and your guests will enjoy, and they are all easy on the wallet, too.
Simplicity Attracts Attention to Windows
Sometimes you don’t need an elaborate makeover. Hanging simple ornaments or hand-made decorations from yarn, cording or metallic thread of varying lengths adds some holiday touches without overwhelming small spaces or cluttering the view through the window.
Dress Your Windows for the Curbside View
In the photo above, the homeowners used a window box to showcase some large ornamental characters from the Nutcracker. The greenery surrounding the three-panel window unit and sparkly white lights present a magical winter scene. Remember to use caution when installing brackets and other mounting hardware. Never drill into the frame, trim or glass of your window, as this could void your replacement window warranty. Also, if you are decorating the exterior side of casement or awning windows, you won’t be able to open the windows if you position elements directly in front of the moveable panels. Of course, this time of year we aren’t normally opening the sash to capture a refreshing breeze. Be sure that all outside lights and extension cords are rated for outdoor use to reduce the risk of fire or damage when it snows or rains.
Go Over-the-Top with a Window Valance
In this YouTube video created by DIYHIPchicks.com, you’ll find instructions to build a cornice board. Beth Allen uses wood and metal brackets while building a made-to-last window treatment. You can also recover your existing cornice boards with holiday themed fabric and simply remove the decoration after the new year rolls around.
Holiday Window Spruce Up on Long Island
These three window treatment options aren’t difficult or expensive. With a little bit of time and some basic crafting skills you can dress your windows for the holidays to create the mood you want to project, whether that mood is fun and festive, elegant or whimsical. Your replacement windows are weather-tight and won’t leak air or moisture, so you don’t have to worry about hanging heavy draperies this year to banish the cold drafty spots.
As you consider decorating options, keep these extra tips in mind.
- Never use permanent adhesives to attach film or window art to glass or other window unit components.
- Set nails and screws in the building envelope, not in your window frame or trim work.
- Consider how curtains, draperies and shades will look from the curb before making an expensive upgrade.
- Do not drill into grilles.
- Bay and bow configurations without a built-in sitting area create the perfect place to showcase your Christmas tree. If you have a built-in window seat, you can remove the cushion and decorate the space will a nativity scene, a group of holiday scented candles or a toy train set.
- Always use the correct type of lights. Outdoor lights have safety features that protect them against the weather.
- If you plan to set up your Christmas tree near a window, make sure your curtains, tree skirt and other fabrics in proximity are fire-resistant. Turn off lights when you will be out of the room for an extended period of time.
Dressing Your Renewal by Andersen of Long Island Replacement Windows Is’t Difficult or Expensive
We hope our customers who have recently upgraded their home windows with Renewal by Andersen of Long Island replacement windows will enjoy this first holiday season without drafty corners and foggy windows. Updating your window treatments for the season doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive as you can see from these examples. If you haven’t installed new windows in your home yet, but have some questions about the process, simply fill in the short form on this page or give us a quick call at 1-877-313-9052 to schedule a free, no-obligation home consultation.
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement Windows
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!