Welcome back to our five part series on the Renewal by Andersen of Long Island Replacement Window Buying Journey. Last week we talked about landscaping considerations you may want to address as you prepare to install your home’s new windows. This week, we’ll discuss the difference the right window treatments can make in your home.
For people who love their current interior decorating scheme, updating window treatments may not even be on the radar as they plan their new window purchase. But, if you’ve decided to replace a large picture window with a series of operable windows, or even convert that expansive view to a beautiful bay or bow with a window seat, new window dressing may be in order. In fact, you may want to update your window treatments to show off your new windows (rather than to hide the old ones you’re replacing).
There are so many styles, colors, fabrics and design choices available today, it may take more than a week to make a final decision, but at least this is a great time to start your research.
3 Ways to Avoid Common Replacement Window Treatment Mistakes
While the final window dressing choice usually comes down to two things – personal preferences and functionality – there are some common mistakes many people make when choosing new window treatments. Here are a few ways to avoid those errors.
#1. Think About the Exterior View
You may love Roman shades, and who doesn’t? They are very versatile and fit nicely into almost any interior decorating scheme, but remember to think about the fabric facing the street. Neutral-colored backing is typically less noticeable and complements your home’s exterior color scheme better than a bold print or dark colors.
Another common mistake is installing shutters that aren’t the proper width for the window size or style. Remember shutters should look like they can be closed against inclement weather, even if they are permanently fixed in an open arrangement. Too skinny and they look like an afterthought, too wide and they dominate the space.
#2. Consider the Window Style
Every window style – double-hung, casement, bay – has unique features, and each one deserves window treatments designed to complement the window’s appearance and functionality. For example, dressing recessed windows and those installed in corners are often trickier for many homeowners. Choosing styles, fabrics and colors is easier when you carefully consider how a room is used. There are some curtains better suited to for humid areas, think bathrooms and kitchens, while other window treatments are more functional in nurseries or family rooms. Choose:
- Cordless blinds and draperies for nurseries and children’s playrooms.
- Machine washable fabrics for kitchens and baths.
- Non-fade solutions for windows that get direct sunlight during the brightest part of the day.
- Layered window treatments that make it easier to adjust light levels and control glare in home offices and television viewing areas, where you want the option to reduce light without totally blocking it.
#3. Consult Your Warranty
You can download a PDF version, ask your replacement window consultant for an advance copy, or read a Renewal by Andersen Warranty recap here. This is especially important if you plan to enlist the help of a professional interior decorator because some mounting techniques may negatively impact your coverage.
Get More Decorating Advice from Renewal by Andersen of Long Island
Just starting to think about updating your Long Island home with modern, Energy Star certified replacement windows and patio doors? Schedule a free consultation today. Just fill in the short form on this page or call us at 1-877-313-9052.
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement WindowsClick Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!