The only time your Renewal by Andersen of Long Island replacement patio door panels should come off the track is when you intentionally remove them for routine maintenance or to trouble-shoot a problem. Checking patio doors about once a month will help ensure your doors slide open and closed effortlessly for many, many years. Anytime your new door sticks or seems tight, you should examine your track to make sure there aren’t any obstructions or damage.
Patio Door Maintenance Check List
- To ensure they’re not in the way or get damaged during your inspection, it’s best to take down window treatments – curtains, blinds, shades, etc. – before inspecting your patio door.
- Careful remove your door insect screen(s) and place them in a safe place until you are ready to reinstall them after cleaning.
- If you opted for removable grilles when you designed your replacement patio doors, and you want to clean the glass panels at the same time, lift the grilles away from the glass near the edge of the frame. Clips are permanently affixed and you should not try to remove them. If you need more detailed instructions on safely removing and reinstalling your grilles, watch this video.
- Inspect the tracks for corrosion, chips or divots. The bottom of the track – the part where the door panels slide – should be flat, debris free and firmly in place. If you find rust or corrosion on the two parallel bars on either side of the flat bottom that create the sliding space, use a narrow high-quality wire brush to address areas that could be causing the door to stick.
- Use a small brush-type vacuum attachment or wand to remove loose dirt, leaves and other debris in the “valley” of the track.
- Wipe the area with a soft, damp cloth. If you find it hard to remove sticky or greasy spills, use a mild soap and water solution. Never use harsh chemicals or sharp objects to attack stubborn stains.
- Dry the tracks and test the door operation.
- If the door is still hard to open after following steps one through seven, you may need to lift out the door panel to get a clear view of the full track. Refer to the cleaning and maintenance brochure your Renewal by Andersen of Long Island dealer gave you after the installation or call us at 1-877-313-9052 for assistance.
- These general cleaning instructions for sliding windows will give you tips on cleaning your patio door glass panels.
- Reinstall screens, grilles and window treatments.
Troubleshooting Replacement Sliding Patio Door Issues
Renewal by Andersen sliding doors should be easy to open. If you have to make an effort, there is something wrong that needs attention. Here are a couple of things to remember about your new doors.
- You don’t need an oil-based lubricant. The dual-ball-bearing rollers with self-contained leveling adjusters keep your doors functioning perfectly without routine oiling and greasing. If you feel you absolutely must use a lubricant, choose a dry silicone or Teflon product.
- Although it is rare for a new patio door to shift shortly after installation, you may notice your door is not level. You can manually adjust the door following the instructions on page 22 and page 23 of the Window Care and Maintenance of Renewal by Andersen Products Guide. Download the PDF version to access step-by- step instructions for contemporary and French sliding doors.
- Loose screws and nails can interfere with smooth operation. Check all nails and screws holding the door in place to make sure none of them are loose and sticking up high enough to cause the door to hang.
Keep Your Sliding Patio Doors in Top Condition with Tips & Guidance from Renewal by Andersen of Long Island Specialists
Your new replacement patio doors are designed to glide smoothly with minimal care and maintenance. If you notice your patio door hangs and you can’t spot anything obvious, don’t get frustrated. We would be more than happy to come out and diagnose the problem with you. Just take a minute to fill in the short form on this page or call us at 1-877-313-9052.
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement Windows
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!