Considering installing replacement windows in your Long Island home? Start by making a budget. Going through the budgeting process can give you some direction and parameters when you’re choosing windows and an installer. Budgeting for windows installation can sound daunting, but the process isn’t as complicated as you might think. See our four straightforward steps to get started.
#1. Explore Window Options
Start by doing your research. There are many different kinds of windows on the market, and not all types are created equal. Search online. Visit showrooms. Look at catalogs. Research different types of window frame and window glass materials. As you’re exploring window types, ask questions, such as:
- How long can this window material be expected to last?
- What’s the cleaning procedure for this type of window?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of this style of window?
The purpose of this step is to explore your options and choose a window type that fits your lifestyle. Make a note of the costs as you’re doing the research. Narrow down your choices to the window type you prefer for your home.
#2. Get Estimates for Your New Windows
Contact window manufacturers, dealers and installers to get estimates for installing new windows in your home. When comparing bids, consider all of the following:
- Warranty. Check out the warranty. In many cases, there are several warranties: product, sales and installation. The manufacturer’s warranty says a lot about their product, while the installer’s warranty says something about their confidence in their installation. Read the warranty carefully. Be careful you don’t wind up in a situation where the manufacturer blames the installer for a problem and the installer blames the manufacturer. You may never get anyone to cover the warranty issue.
- Customer service. Did the manufacturer and installer provide superior customer service when you contacted them for a bid? Did they provide references of prior customers you can talk to?
- Reputation. Consider the reputation of the manufacturer and installer by checking their history, reviews, awards won and references.
The purpose of this process is to choose the best window and best installer for your replacement windows. The best is not always the one with the lowest price. Be wary of installers who dramatically under bid the competition – they could be cutting corners in ways that sacrifice quality.
#3. Seek Financing if Needed for New Window Project
So, once you know approximately how much you can expect to spend, it’s time to explore financing options, if financing is needed. Some window installers offer their own financing for homeowners who need it. Otherwise, you’ll need to contact lenders in your area. Shop around for a lender just as you would shop around for the windows themselves.
When contacting lenders, find out how much you can expect to pay per month for the loan product, and for how long. Hopefully you already know how much you can afford to spend on a home improvement loan, and you’re able to find a lender who can fit in that budget.
#4. Communicate Your Budget with Your Window Sales Representative
The final step of the budgeting process is to communicate your budget with your window sales representative. This is critical to ensure that everyone is on the same page. This can prevent you from going over your budget through the course of the project.
Working On a Window Installation Budget? Contact Us
When you work with Renewal by Andersen of Long Island we provide the product and installation and it’s all covered by the same warranty. We also provide special financing to qualified homeowners. We also offer regular special offers to make our top-quality windows more affordable. To contact us, use the toll free number 1-877-313-9052 or fill out the short form on this page to set up an appointment.
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement WindowsClick Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!