14 Questions You Should Ask Any Replacement Window Company
Finding a reputable replacement window company on Long Island takes patience and research. It’s the same process you should use to find a tax consultant or financial advisor. You’ll want to find an experienced, trustworthy partner to make sure you get all the design and performance features in your windows to make your indoor spaces as comfortable and energy-efficient as possible.
To do your due diligence, it’s important to ask the right questions before you make a final decision – otherwise you may waste a lot of time, energy and money. If you’re thinking of buying your new replacement windows and patio doors from one company and then hiring an independent contractor to install them (something Renewal by Andersen of Long Island doesn’t recommend) keep this list handy to make sure you gather all the information you need to make an informed decision about your investment.
Top Questions to Ask a Long Island Replacement Window Installer
Remember, this is your project. Naturally, a home window installation contractor will ask some questions about your budget, how many windows and/or patio doors you want to replace and when you plan to start your renovation, but you should be able to get straight answers to your questions as well. The “interview” should give you a clear picture of what to expect during and after your windows are installed.
- Can I get a free estimate? You should never have to pay for an estimate – and you should be able to get a detailed estimate in writing.
- How many replacement windows have you installed? Renewal by Andersen of Long Island has installed over 95,000 windows and patio doors since 2008.
- What happens if there are any issues after the installation is complete? You shouldn’t have to deal with any subcontractors if a problem comes up. Make sure you can call the contractor you hire directly and that you won’t have to make multiple calls to the manufacturer and third-party companies.
- What payment options do you offer? Do they offer financing or is it just cash or credit card? Financing can make your window investment much more affordable.
- Do you offer a warranty? Some window contractors may offer a six-month or twelve-month warranty that covers parts or labor, but don’t settle for that option. The gold standard in the industry is a two-year warranty that covers parts and labor.
- Can you provide photos of recent projects in the area? Seeing photos of recently completed jobs can give you an idea of the work the company does as well as perhaps give you ideas for your own window project.
- How long with the project take from ordering the replacement windows to installation? Most people want their windows right away, but you have to expect that if your windows are being custom-made to fit your existing openings, there will be a little lead time. Beware of companies that can install your windows tomorrow or next week. If they can do it so soon, they’ll likely be using standard off-the-shelf windows and making them fit your openings, which isn’t ideal. Also, what does it say about the business’ reputation if they don’t have any other jobs lined up?
- Do I need another contractor to finish the job? This question covers things like finishing work and painting. Replacement windows and patio doors are specifically designed to fit the opening left when we remove existing windows so there shouldn’t be extensive construction required before or after the installation.
- Do you have references or online reviews from current or past customers? A reputable window contractor with satisfied customers will be able to provide verifiable references. You can also check out online review sites like Angie’s List or Home Advisor on your own.
- Are there any current projects in my area that I could drive by? You don’t want to work with a contractor that tramples down your favorite flowers and plants or scatters construction debris and tools everywhere that causes safety issues during the process. Naturally, any construction is a bit messy, but a skilled contractor knows the importance of a safe worksite and respects your property while getting the job completed.
- Are you licensed? Every reputable contractor has a license and should be able to provide a number you can verify with local authorities.
- Do you have insurance that covers you and your customers? Hiring an insured, bonded installation crew is just wise, even if you have homeowner’s coverage.
- How long have you been in business? Everyone has to start somewhere, but when it comes to installing new windows and replacement patio doors, you don’t necessarily want to be among the first customers. Even a high-quality, custom-built window is only as good as the installation. Hiring an inexperienced contractor could mean your warranty is voided and your new windows won’t perform as they were designed.
- What kind of training do your crews get? Our window technicians are carefully chosen and trained to install Renewal by Andersen windows according to manufacturer’s guidelines for every window style we sell.
Renewal by Andersen of Long Island: Your Replacement Window Partner From Start to Finish
We know you have choices when it comes to buying replacement windows and patio doors for your Long Island home. We install every window we sell to ensure our customers never have to worry about vetting contractors or how to get service if something goes wrong down the road.We invite you to fill in the short form on the page to request a brochure or give us a call at 1-877-313-9052 to schedule a free in-home-consultation. Keep your checklist ready – we’ve got answers to all your questions about upgrading your home windows on your terms.
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement Windows
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!