Casement replacement windows are a very popular and attractive choice for Long Island homeowners. Not only are casements one of the most energy efficient windows on the market, they are easy to customize with beautiful decorative elements that enhance the features of almost every architectural style. Renewal by Andersen of Long Island casements are especially easy to take care of, since our patented Fibrex frames are guaranteed to never need resurfacing to prevent rot, mildew, chipping, fading or rust.
There are a few advantages and disadvantages of this wonderful window style. Here’s what you need to know about designing your new casement windows.
Casement Replacement Window Advantages
Casements look attractive in bold and subtle color choices and you can configure casements to open from the left or the right to accommodate exterior brickwork or other structural elements.
Here are three more advantages that make this window style so appealing.
1. Only fixed-pane windows offer higher energy-efficiency performance. In this style, the sash presses firmly against the weather-stripping to create an almost impenetrable seal against air and moisture infiltration. And, there is less wear and tear with daily use on the weather-stripping than seen with styles that slide against the sealing components.
2. Single-lever operation makes this window one of the easiest styles to open and close.
3. Windows open completely, capturing the air and drawing it inside for natural ventilation.
One of the simplest ways to customize your casement windows is by adding window grilles. Window grille patterns allow you to create a unique aesthetic, whether you want a traditional French flair, a colonial motif or a simple outline to frame your glazing.
Casement Replacement Window Challenges
Although the advantages outweigh any potential challenges for most homeowners, it’s important to point out a few potential challenges for some of our friends and neighbors looking for best-fit window choices. Here are the two most often mentioned potential negatives about casement windows.
1. Casement windows cannot accommodate window air conditioning units like horizontal operating windows do.
2. Casement windows open out. While this is not usually an issue on second floors, when these windows open onto a patio or deck, they can become an obstruction. If you’ve ever walked into an open casement window during a party (like I have) you know what I mean.
Decorative options for your new casement windows
Color is often an important design element for Long Island homeowners. Our casement window color palette includes five exterior options and seven interiors, including natural wood finishes in pine, oak and maple.
Grilles add interesting visual appeal and let you closely replicate original designs. Three different grille styles allow you to choose the one that gives you the most decorating flexibility, easiest cleaning option, or opportunity to create traditional or contemporary appearances.
You can design custom grille patterns or choose one of these standard grille patterns:
• Colonial: Made with equal sized squares, you choose how many you want on each sash.
• Prairie: Characterized by two vertical and two horizontal bars on each sash.
• Classic Farmhouse: Incorporates two vertical bars (typically in the upper portion of the pane) and a horizontal rail at the window center.
• Modified Prairie: Similar to the Prairie pattern, but the design covers the entire window, not each sash.
Although there is only one operational lever per window, you have almost a dozen hardware finishes and styles to consider so you are sure to find the perfect color and style to match your interior décor.
Renewal by Andersen of Long Island: Making the Case for Casement Replacement Windows
Casement windows are one of the best performing windows we offer, although we’re proud of all of our ENERGY STAR labeled windows and patio doors. Need more information about the benefits of installing casement windows in your Long Island home? Give us a call at 1-877-313-9052 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation or fill in the short form on this page to request more information.
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement Windows
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!