What Happens When You Install New Windows?
Installing new windows is a multi-step process that can seem complicated and a little overwhelming. In this article, we’ll tell you a little about what you can expect during your new window installation. We hope that this step-by-step guide will provide you with the information (and confidence!) you need to proceed with this important home improvement project.
Make a Budget for Your New Windows
Start by making a budget for your replacement windows. If you have cash to spend on this project, decide how much you want to spend and find a window dealer and installer that can provide the best windows at the right price. If you need financing, this process is a little more complicated. First, meet with window dealers to find out how much you can expect to spend on your window installation. Once you know the cost to install new windows, contact lenders to find out how much you can borrow and what the repayment schedule is. Also check with the window dealer to see if they offer low-cost financing. If neither of these options will work for you, this may be the moment when you find out that you can’t afford new windows right now. If this is happening, wait a year or two and save some money. It’s never worth it in the long run to install cheap windows because you’ll pay for them for years down the road in wasted energy costs. Buy the best windows when you can afford them and you’ll never regret it down the road.
Have Consultations & Select a Window Installer
Meet with many window dealers and installers as you’re trying to decide which company is right for you. It’s very important to choose a window dealer and installer with the skills and a reputation you can trust. Look for the following qualities:
- Communication skills. How does the window dealer/installer communicate? Do they answer your questions to your satisfaction? Are they listening to you?
- Good references. Any installer that you’re thinking seriously about hiring should have good references. Call references before you sign a contract.
- Professionalism. Does the dealer have a good website? A company with a long-standing history? Good customer service?
- Warranty. Read the window dealer and installer’s warranty. If the window dealer and installer are two separate companies, there will be two separate warranties. Read both and be sure they cover everything. One of the biggest headaches with two warranties is ensuring each company blames the other for any issues and you wind up with no coverage. Renewal by Andersen of Long Island’s warranty , which covers both the windows (or doors) and installation in one warranty, is one of the best in the business – you can find it online.
Prepare Your Home for Your Window Installation
Once you’ve signed a contract, you’ll have to prepare your home for your upcoming window installation. Your window installer may request that you remove, or move, the landscaping that might be blocking access to your windows. They may also request that you take down your curtains or remove furniture that prevents access to your windows.
Replacement Window Installation Day
Window installation is a noisy process. You may want to be present, or you may want to leave your house while the installation takes place. Either way, communicate with your installer about where you’ll be and how you can be reached.
Plan for your installation to take one or two days, but if your home is larger, installation could be longer. When the work is complete, your contractor should put back or replace any of the trim that was taken down during the window installation. The project is finished when you complete a walk-through with the installer.
Get Started with Replacement Window Installation Today
Andersen Windows was founded in 1903. In our more than 100 years in business, we’ve learned a thing or two about making the window installation process satisfying for homeowners. To get started with your window replacement, call Renewal by Andersen of Long Island today. Use the toll-free number 1-877-313-9052 or fill out the short form on this page and we’ll contact you at your convenience.
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement WindowsClick Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!