2021 is around the corner. While most of us will be glad to see the end of 2020, it’s time to start thinking about your New Year resolutions. If you haven’t made New Year resolutions yet, perhaps it’s time to start thinking about improvements you can make to your home in the coming year. These window-related resolutions can help keep your home looking beautiful and even improve your home’s value if you’re planning to sell sometime in the next couple years.
Keep Your Windows Clean
Windows get dirty just like any other part of your house. But how often do you really clean them? Cleaning your home’s dirty windows on a quarterly basis can have many benefits:
- Your home will look more beautiful from the inside and outside.
- Cleaning your windows gives you a chance to take note of window maintenance you should be performing.
- With more sunlight entering your home, your home’s interior will look brighter and cleaner.
Some important window cleaning tips:
- Use separate rags between the inside and the outside, to avoid carrying dirt and even bird excrement from the outside to the inside of your home.
- Careful use of a paint can opener can make it easier to pop out window screens.
- If you’re using a squeegee, replace the blade before getting started.
Perform Regular Window Maintenance
Older windows need regular window maintenance. Proper window maintenance can improve your home’s energy efficiency and improve your windows’ functionality.
Paint Wooden Windows
Wooden windows need to be repainted or resealed periodically to protect the wood. You’ll know when this time comes because the paint will start to peel off the frames. If your windows were installed before 1978, there’s a good chance that lead paint was used on the frames at one time. Have a pro paint your windows using lead-safe practices to keep your family safe from toxic paint chips.
Weatherstrip Your Windows
Older windows aren’t as efficient as modern windows. They also lose their energy efficiency as weeatherstripping degrades or becomes worn over time, making them drafty. You may have noticed that your older windows tend to create cold/hot spots in your home.
New weatherstripping on your windows can help fix this problem. Use rubber weatherstripping seals from a home improvement store to fill the gaps between your windows and their frames. Replace rubber weatherstripping once annually, as the foam strips may become brittle and cracked over time.
Have Foggy Windows Fixed
If the seal is broken around between the glass and spacer of your dual pane windows, the inert gas between the pains will be lost (reducing energy efficiency) and the space inside the glass may have filled with moisture, causing the windows to become foggy. If your home has foggy windows, get them fixed by a repair person. This will likely require ordering new insulated glass or an entire new sash in the specific size of your windows. If quite a few of your home’s windows are foggy, consider having them replaced.
Get Windows Replaced, If Needed
The best windows can last several decades, but toward the end of their service life, they may become inefficient, difficult to open and close, and difficult to maintain. If this describes the windows in your home, you should consider making an appointment to meet with a professional window dealer and installer in 2021 to discuss window replacement.
Are you replacing your windows in 2021? Contact Renewal by Andersen of Long Island to make an appointment for consultation. We offer a fully streamlined process, because we sell and install all our own windows. To get started, use the toll free number 1-877-313-9052, or use the simple form on this page to request a free consultatio
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement WindowsClick Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!