Are you thinking about replacing or installing new windows in your home and trying to decide which window designs are best for you to install? In this article, we’re going to put the spotlight on a type of window that everyone knows, but people don’t often think much about: picture windows. These classic windows are perfect for taking in good views and for letting natural light into the home. They’re great to install in the right situation. Here’s what you should know before you install picture windows in your home.
Most people get a licensed home inspector to look at the house and provide an assessment of any problems. While this is an important part of the real estate purchase process, you can identify some signs of damage and problems on your own before you make an offer and incur the expense of an inspector. Below are 6 window red flags to watch out for when you’re looking at a new home and trying to evaluate it for purchase.
Picture Window Benefits
There are many things that make picture windows a high-value product to install in your home.
- Natural light. What do picture windows do best? They allow natural light into your home. The bigger the window, the more natural light reaches all corners of the room.
- View. Picture windows provide an uninterrupted view of the great outdoors in climate controlled comfort, better than any picture you could ever hang on your wall.
- Improve the look and ambiance of the space. Picture windows can change the very mood in the room, because natural light helps makes interior spaces feel bigger and more spacious, and even a little cleaner and more cheerful.
Picture Window Disadvantages
Picture windows have some disadvantages that make them not perfect for every room. Here’s what you need to know.
- Cleaning challenges. Picture windows don’t tilt inward like some other types of windows, so you’ll have to be standing outside the house to clean the exterior of your picture windows. This can be a challenge, particularly on second floors.
- No ventilation. Picture windows don’t allow any ventilation into your home. If you need to get fresh air in the room, consider a casement or double hung window instead. Or consider combining picture windows with operable windows to get the best of both worlds.
Things to Think About When Buying Picture Windows
Before you sign on the dotted line, consider the following information about picture windows.
Picture Windows Are Energy Efficient
Picture windows are very energy efficient because they’re un-vented, which means there’s less chance of any drafts being allowed into your home. On the other hand, make sure you buy a picture window that has high-performance low-E4 glass to help keep out the cold in winter and block some of the sun’s radiant heat energy in the summer.
Picture Window Grille Pattern Variations
Renewal by Andersen of Long Island windows may come in a variety of grille patterns. Pick the grill pattern that’s right for you – or if you want your view unobstructed, then choose no grilles at all.
Which Windows to Pair with Picture Windows
Some homeowners choose to put vented windows on either side of their picture windows. If you’d like the beauty of a picture window and the convenience of a vented window, give thought to the style of window you’d like to install on each side of your picture window.
Install Picture Windows with Renewal by Andersen of Long Island Today
Picture windows sold by Renewal by Andersen of Long Island are made from high-quality materials. They’re long-lasting and beautiful! To find out more about installing our picture windows in your home, call Renewal by Andersen of Long Island today, toll free, at 1-877-313-9052 or use the short form on this page and we’ll get right back to you.
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement Windows Click Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!