At Renewal by Andersen of Long Island, our whole team is confident your replacement windows and patio doors will make your home more energy-efficient and more comfortable for as long as you continue to live in your home. We’ve taken great pains to make sure every window we install is constructed to exacting measurements for your home, and every detail — from the custom grille pattern to the glazing choice — reflects the high-quality you’ve come to expect from Andersen products for more than a century.
One of the key benefits of choosing Renewal by Andersen of Long Island home improvement products over other brands is the low-maintenance and time-saving features built into every window and door we offer. The following five tips will help you keep your replacement windows and doors looking beautiful and performing as perfectly as the day they are installed for years to come.
#1. Remove Special Protective Film From Window Glass
The glazing in your new replacement windows and patio doors are shipped with a protecting film to protect the interior and exterior surfaces from dust and debris while in transit and during the installation. Remove protective film from glass surfaces and seams within the first nine months after installation on a day when the temperature exceeds 32 degrees.
Factory applied coatings are very durable, but sharp instruments can scratch your window coatings. Pull film from a seam or corner. You may use a plastic scraper, if necessary, to lift the edge, but not sharp metal or a razor blade.
Never apply additional tint or films to your replacement windows without first talking to a Renewal by Andersen replacement window consultant; doing so could void your warranty and negatively impact how your Low-E Energy Star certified glass panels perform. Shutters and coverings may also cause condensation problems and thermal stress so ask about those before installing them as well.
#2 Routine Cleaning & Care of Your Replacement Windows
- Avoid harsh abrasives, acid solutions and strong chemicals. Do not use newspaper to dry your glass, ink residue may damage your Fibrex frames. We recommend:
- Detach screens and removable grilles before cleaning glass.
- Wipe factory-finished grilles, sash and trim with a clean, damp, lint-free cloth.
- Clean grilles you have stained or painted according to manufacturer’s directions for the surface product you chose to update the color/texture.
- Clean glass surfaces with a mild soap and water solution using a soft lint-free cloth. Apply with a circular motion and rinse immediately with clean water. Dry with a squeegee.
- Use a soft cloth to wipe standard and TruScene insect screens. Do not spray screens with a water hose.
- Use a damp cloth, a static feather duster, a soft bristle brush or a vacuum crevice tool to remove dirt and debris from sills and tracks to keep operation smooth and effortless.
#3 Make Modifications Cautiously
Modifying your windows and patio doors after installation may void your warranty. If you must use screws or nails near or on your windows, avoid installing them in places that interfere with opening and closing operations or make contact with glazing and weather-stripping. We recommend you consult your warranty documents or call our office before adding security components, exterior shutter or window boxes or attaching anything to the frame, sash or trim.
#4 Updating Your Color Scheme
Your beautiful Fibrex frames are manufactured with a long-lasting finish that never flakes, fades or peels. Unlike other types of window frames, Renewal by Andersen replacement windows never need resurfacing to stay attractive. If you choose to paint your hardwood interiors or Fibrex frames, realize you have created a “maintainable surface.”
When updating your color scheme, carefully follow preparation and application directions provided by the stain or paint manufacturer. Be careful not to paint:
- Jamb liners
- Any surface that slides against another surface
- Factory applied silicon
Some solvent-based products and stain cause irreparable damage to Fibrex composite window components. If you plan to stain wood veneer windows or need more detailed instructions for staining your wood interiors, call our office to request a copy of our Renewal by Andersen Care and Maintenance Guide.
#5 Know Your Window Limitations
To keep your windows and doors performing perfectly year after year, make sure you are using your windows properly. For example, casement windows provide exceptional ventilation when opened wide. They capture a breeze and funnel it indoors on a moderate day better than any other window style. But, leaving your casement windows open during extreme weather events with high winds could pull the sash out of alignment, or worse.
Have More Questions About Taking Care of Your Renewal by Andersen of Long Island Replacement Windows or Patio Doors?
Should you have questions about resurfacing your replacement windows or a care topic we didn’t cover in this short article, please call our toll-free number (877-313-9052) or fill in the short form on this page for assistance.
If you’re still considering installing replacement windows in your Long Island Home, we invite you to schedule a no-obligation home consultation with one of our representatives at your convenience to discuss upgrade options today. Call 877-313-9052 to schedule your appointment.
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement Windows
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!