When you imagine a window, what do you see? Two sashes, one on top of the other? If so, you’re probably imagining a single hung or double hung window. But what are these window types, and what’s the difference between them? If you’re shopping for windows, knowing the difference between these two important window types can help you choose the product that will add the most value to your home.
Single Hung Windows
Single hung windows have a stationary upper sash, and a moveable lower sash. The lower sash slides up and down on a track to open and shut the window. Single hung windows often have one lock that holds the moveable sash in place. While the lack of mobility in the upper sash can be a disadvantage if you’re trying to maximize ventilation in your home, having a sealed upper window makes the entire fixture potentially more energy efficient. There are advantages to single hung windows.
- Cost less than double hung windows
- Highly energy efficient
- Stationary upper sash allows for no additional ventilation
- Not as easy to clean as double hung windows
Double Hung Windows
Double hung windows have two moveable sashes that can be raised and lowered on a track. To allow cool air into your home, open the lower sash. To give hot air near the ceiling a place to exit, pull down the upper sash. Both sash windows can often be tilted inward for easy cleaning of outside surfaces from inside.
- Easy to clean both sashes
- Greater ventilation compared to single hung windows
- Higher cost compared to single hung windows
Which One Is Right For You?
Trying to decide which type of window to install can be a challenge. Start by making a budget and a list of priorities. Work with a window consultant to discuss your priorities and get a quote. At Renewal by Andersen of Long Island, we can help you evaluate the options and find a product that works for your needs.
What to Know about Renewal by Andersen of Long Island
Renewal by Andersen of Long Island stands behind all of our products. Here’s what you need to know about our windows:
- One-shop stop: Renewal by Andersen of Long Island is a full-service, one-stop-shop for windows. We perform all our own sales and installation, and offer an in-house warranty on both product and installation.
- Industry leader: Andersen was founded in 1903, and we’re proud to be one of the most respected names in window products and window installation in the United States.
- Superior product: Our exclusive window frame material, Fibrex, combines the strength of wood and the low-maintenance of vinyl.
Contact Us to Get Started
Make an appointment with Renewal by Andersen of Long Island to get started with a consultation. Send us a secure online message or give us call at 1-877-313-9052.
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement WindowsClick Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!