Window replacement is an excellent home improvement project that can raise the value of your property, improve your home’s energy efficiency, and make your home more beautiful and functional. However, window replacement is a project that takes some time. Most homeowners need lead time to choose the windows that work for them, to find the right dealer and installer and get their budget ready. If you’re hoping to have windows installed in the next few months or within the year, the time to get started is now. Getting a head start gives you more time to shop around and choose the window dealer and installer that’s truly right for you and your home.
Replacement Window Budget
Start by making a budget for your window upgrade. If you’ve no idea what the cost will be, you can kick off this process by meeting with window dealers to get cost estimates. Be sure to compare apples to apples; ensure your quote includes the windows and installation and compare warranties. Once you’ve got an estimate or two, you can proceed to determine the budget for your project. If you don’t have cash on hand to pay for your windows, financing is available through reputable lenders, credit unions and banks.
- Read the payment terms before signing a loan document.
- Know how much you’ll have to pay per month.
- Pay attention to total cost over the life of the loan, not just the monthly payment.
Pick Your Window Style
There are many window styles that you can choose for your home. We recommend choosing a style that you like and one that fits with the architecture of your home. Know your options before making your selection. Just because one type of window is installed in your home right now doesn’t mean that you have to keep that style.
- Casement windows open outward on a hinge, and are operated with a turn crank.
- Double hung windows have two moveable sashes which can raise and lower on a track.
- Single hung windows have one moveable sash that can raise and lower on a track, and one fixed sash that always stays in place.
- Sliding or Gliding windows also run in a track, but move horizontally rather than vertically.
- Awning and Hopper windows, like casements turned sideways, also open on a hinge, but on the top or bottom, not the side.
- Picture windows are fixed in place and do not open or close.
There are other styles in addition to the ones mentioned above. Explore all the options before making your final decision.
Choose a Window Installer
Shop around for a window dealer and installer. At Renewal by Andersen of Long Island, we are the window dealer and the installer, which means you’ll only have one warranty and one company with which to coordinate should you ever have an issue with your windows. All of our replacement window frames are made with Fibrex, which is a type of composite wood that requires no maintenance.
To choose the right installer:
- Check references.
- Get a contract and read it all the way through.
- Meet with at least two or three window installers and dealers before making your final decision.
Pick a Date for Your Replacement Window Installation & Get Ready
Once you’ve found a dealer and installer, it’s time to pick a date and get ready for your window installation. Your installer might give you instructions to prepare your house for the upcoming work. Do this prep work in advance so your installation can start as soon as the installers arrive.
Contact Renewal by Andersen of Long Island for a Free Window Consultation
Are you planning to install new windows in your home sometime in the coming months? Contact Renewal by Andersen of Long Island by calling the toll free number 1-877-313-9052 or fill out the short form on this page to schedule your design consultation.
Download our Free Guide to Long Island Replacement WindowsLearn Everything You Need to Know BEFORE Buying Replacement WindowsClick Here to Download Now!
- The Difference Between Replacement and New Construction Windows!
- The Different Kinds of Frame Materials and What That Means to Your Windows’ Performance and Longevity!
- How the Right Glass Can Save You Money on Your Heating & Cooling Bills!
- The Critical Role Proper Installation Plays in the Performance, Durability and Warranty of Your New Replacement Windows!
- What Features and Options are Important to You and What Role They Play in Your Ultimate Satisfaction Today, and for as Long As You Live in Your Home!